5 Takeaways from My First NYFW
Photos by Caroline
“Every year, the women of New York leave the past behind and look forward to the future. This is known as Fashion Week,” Carrie Bradshaw.
Carrie couldn’t have explained it better. As a group of past-dwelling women, we tend to always worry about things that cannot be changed. Attending NYFW allowed me to get a glimpse into the future, one that previewed and showcased the upcoming trends for Spring/Summer 2018.
This year I was fortunate enough to attend my first NYFW. Living in NYC, I knew it would be more feasible since I wouldn’t have to pay for a hotel or travel. About a month before the shows and events, I started reaching out to companies, and my PR contacts started reaching out to me. Before I knew it, I got that beloved confirmed email for my first show.
A week out from NYFW and I had actually gotten several invites to shows, presentations, or events for NYFW. It’s so cool how the industry values influencers now and allows us to attend the shows. I’ve always had an interest in fashion, and even interned at ELLE Magazine, so going to fashion week had been on my bucket list for the longest time.
Because of my work schedule, I wasn’t able to attend some of the shows that were during normal working hours. But, I found that you can actually transfer your ticket to someone as long as they have the bar code! I loved how some of my fellow blogger friends could attend on my behalf, even if I was stuck at the office 🙂
Honestly, I had no idea what to expect when it came to NYFW. Would everyone be super trendy and dressed in only designer clothing? Would people be rude and ask why the heck I was even attending? With a bit of hesitation, I traveled to Skylight Clarkson Sq. for my first show. (Fyi… it was amazing!)
Throughout the weekend, I attended three shows, a presentation, and several parties/events. One of my favorite parts about Fashion Week was meeting other bloggers and influencers who traveled from across the country to attend! This was such a unique group of people who all came together for their love of fashion. I felt so inspired to try out all of the trends I saw being worn.
As a NYFW newbie, I did learn a few helpful hints. Hopefully these could help you too!
Here are my 5 Takeaways from my first NYFW:
- Be prepared to wait in line. People start lining up for shows almost an hour before! I usually went about 30 minutes early and was fine getting in.
- Unless you have a seat assignment, admission is not guaranteed. So apparently the hierarchy for tickets goes from assigned seat to priority standing to standing. I had priority standing for all of my shows and ended up getting a seat for each one. Patience is key because they always want to fill empty seats right before the show starts. But, if you have a standing ticket there is a chance you may not get in– so stay calm and have backup plans!
- Everything is not in the same place. I don’t know about you, but I kind of expected all of the shows to be right by each other. Not the case. While there are a few central locations for shows, some brands like to be different and host at exciting locations. (bring comfy walking shoes or take the subway to avoid that NYFW traffic)
- Presentations are just as exciting as shows. Honestly, I almost preferred presentations more. You are able to see the outfits up close and look at them for longer periods of time. This is perfect for getting your trend reports ready.
- Not everyone will be friendly. Yes, there were definitely some fashion divas there. But, I met some really nice people just by saying hi and being nice in line!
Are you planning to attend the next NYFW? Feel free to ask me any other questions you might have 🙂 You can also subscribe to my newsletter for tips and tricks of ways to get invited!