Set Intentions, Not Resolutions for 2018
We’ve all been there. As soon as a new year rolls around, you start to think about your life and how you need or want to change it. The popular idea for this is setting a New Years Resolution.
A resolution implies something with an ending and often it can be quite limiting. Common resolutions like losing weight, quitting smoking, or working out, are all about a specific act that you want to either start or stop. Instead of resolutions this year, I’m setting intentions for myself in 2018.
To me, intentions allow room for growth, change, and any uncertainty in your life. Things may not always go your way, and take it from me, a used-to-be psycho type A person, that sometimes you just need to go with the flow and deal with unexpected changes. Once I stopped worrying about things out of my control, I’ve had a lot less anxiety in my life. I’ll write more about this in the future, but it’s one of the underlying reasons for me choosing to set intentions over resolutions this year.
While setting your intentions you should be meaningful, but also allow yourself to be in the present and see what your body truly needs. I categorized my intentions into three groups for 2018, with sub-goals beneath each main intention. I plan to focus on these main ideas throughout the year and made adaptations as needed.
My Intentions for 2018:
- FOCUS – on what goes into or on my body
- Clean eating and cooking more
- Safer makeup, beauty, and skincare (S/O to Beautycounter)
- Meditation and relaxation; including diffusing essential oils, etc.
- EXPLORE – find new areas that are outside of my comfort zone
- Travel more and take trips
- Visit new NYC spots and switch up my normal routine
- Step outside of my comfort zone at work and in my personal life
- CREATE – use my passion for something good
- Consistent blog and social media content
- Deep relationships with friends and family members
- A new level of confidence in my life after struggling with insecurities
Although this seems like a long list, a lot of my intentions don’t have definitive numbers tied to them. It’s all about making these simple changes for me to lead a happier life!
I’d love to hear if you set any goals for the New Year and what they are. Comment below!